SoundDomain
Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1804618 - 05/24/10 03:03 AM Hond ELD's
njDan
SD Gimp

Loc: East Rutherford, NJ

My '98 Civic, as well as many Honda's, have a device called an Electrical Load Detector. In a nutshell it acts to keep the alternator working at a minimum.

Long story short, I understand it to further inhibit an already under-equipped electrical system from powering an audio system. It is not used on Japanese or Canadian Honda's. I also believe that when left in the picture, it would render an expensive HO alternator ineffective.

I heard that disabling the ELD is as simple as cutting one wire from the alternator to the computer-"Altc", I think.

Anyody know the skinny on this? I have sucked 2 batteries dry and feel I need to install an HO alt. Too much confusion exists on doing this properly.

I know K_H_A will set me straight.

#1805192 - 05/25/10 05:42 PM Re: Hond ELD's [Re: njDan]
keep_hope_alive Moderator
Acoustics Engineer
SD Sith Lord

Loc: Quad Cities, IL

Very interesting. I will investigate this further as it directly affects my current HO Alt installation.

I'll have an answer for ya.

#1805207 - 05/25/10 07:08 PM Re: Hond ELD's [Re: keep_hope_alive]
Acoustics Engineer
SD Sith Lord

ok, i've done some digging, bugged Jay a bit, and read my Haynes manual.

The ELD is going to be an issue for all of us. I have a few ideas how to get this thing functioning properly. We can't bypass it, and we want it functioning as it's a good idea. What we need to do is include the system current draw.

I think my solution will utilize a high current shunt resistor to monitor audio system current draw (similar to what the ELD does now with the ignition system current draw), and then use a circuit to combine the two signals and send one new signal to the ECU that mimics the original signal but takes the audio system into account. I'd like to keep the total cost down below $40 so anyone can do it (half that cost will be the shunt itself). I envision a transistor or two, a comparator, maybe a few op amps, etc. - basic components. this has become a #1 priority for me, so a solution will be found. of course, i'll share it with everyone.

#1805513 - 05/26/10 08:43 PM Re: Hond ELD's [Re: keep_hope_alive]
Honda SQ
Nitrous is for people that like to melt things
SD Ralph Wiggum

Loc: SLC,UT

I have been wondering about this and how to get it done. If When you come up with a solution I might be down to by a "kit" if your selling.

So far you have made my problems disappear.

Alpine 9887
Alpine SPX-13PRO
Alpine PDX-5
Alpine PDX-2.150
JL Audio 8W7
Pair of Scanspeak 18W/4434G-00, 7" Midwoofer, 4 ohm midbass

#1805517 - 05/26/10 09:18 PM Re: Hond ELD's [Re: Honda SQ]
El Wray
your hero.
SD I eat the big piece of chicken

Loc: CA

content Online
Out of curiosity, does the ELD pertain to any specific years/models?
#1805520 - 05/26/10 10:07 PM Re: Hond ELD's [Re: El Wray]
Acoustics Engineer
SD Sith Lord

Honda has been using the ELD to control the alternator field current since 1988!

This is a nice write-up on how it functions (back in 1989). I assume the system is similar, although i know it's been a nuisance in newer cars in an attempt to squeak out extra fuel mileage.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/atta...ging-system.pdf

I have seen solutions that involve swapping the ECU. I'm not looking to do that. I've been looking but haven't found anyone doing what i will do.

#1805530 - 05/27/10 02:49 AM Re: Hond ELD's [Re: keep_hope_alive]
njDan
SD Gimp

K_H_A, thanks for your attention to this matter. I knew in my heart of hearts that you were the man for the task!

From what I have read, the ELD is used ultimately to conserve "energy" to meet some government standard. It is NOT used in Japanese/Canadian models. Why then do you feel it is necessary to leave in play?

That cutting of the one wire that runs to the ECU seems like a short and sweet solution. What do you think about that as an option?

I found some great reading on this matter. I will try to find the links.

Thanks again! I patiently await your input on this matter.

#1805954 - 05/28/10 10:27 PM Re: Hond ELD's [Re: njDan]
Acoustics Engineer
SD Sith Lord

If you cut the wire you lose high/low regulation of the alternator. It will be stuck in H.O. mode and will not only shorten the life of the alt, but will damage the battery from over-charging. The ELD plays an important role, and unless you replace the ECU with a Canadian/JDM version, it should be left in.

The ELD is also there to increase fuel mileage, something this country really cares about when marketing cars.

Cutting the wire isn't a fix, it's a hack job approach to a problem.

#1806026 - 05/29/10 10:57 AM Re: Hond ELD's [Re: keep_hope_alive]
kamikazePSI
sdot is dead
Super Trooper

Loc: TX

i have nothing useful to add to this thread other than mention that other cars have similar features as well.

my nissan manual states specifically not to add a battery negative to body ground because it'll bypass a voltage/current monitoring circuit.

so that means doing a Big 2, instead of the big 3.

#1806030 - 05/29/10 11:06 AM Re: Hond ELD's [Re: keep_hope_alive]
njDan
SD Gimp

Originally Posted By: keep_hope_alive
If you cut the wire you lose high/low regulation of the alternator. It will be stuck in H.O. mode and will not only shorten the life of the alt, but will damage the battery from over-charging. The ELD plays an important role, and unless you replace the ECU with a Canadian/JDM version, it should be left in.

The ELD is also there to increase fuel mileage, something this country really cares about when marketing cars.

Cutting the wire isn't a fix, it's a hack job approach to a problem.

Do you still think you might come up with a solution to this problem? Is swapping the ecu the only solution?

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  imtfox, keep_hope_alive, xTHANATOPSISx, Johnny Lapdance, TtownCLS 
Hop to:
Shop on eBay
Newest Members
Jtsarby, Georgepl, audiophile_sound, K10KID, BlakeS
86233 Registered Users
Top Posters
*316Flattop*
Johnny Lapdance
Subwoofer Tool
G H O S T
ItWuzCryptic
IamMurph
Momma Bear
imtfox
SQLAltima
Network Guy
Forum Stats
85900 Members
24 Forums
177941 Topics
1102260 Posts

Max Online: 754 @ 03/10/08 07:00 PM

Generated in 0.033 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright 1998-2008 CarDomain Network, Inc. All rights reserved.