SoundDomain
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83281 - 02/18/04 05:05 PM WTF! One of my BP1200.1s just went up in smoke :mad:
Stangeriffic2002
Massive, Throbbing

One of my JBL BP1200.1's cooked like a thanksgiving turkey today and I don't have the slightest clue why. Here's what went on:

Everything was working fine, I've had the amp for about a year and it's never been a problem, but today I was hooking up my undercar LED kit and had recently rewired everything so I decided to make sure everything was working. I went to the trunk after finishing the LEDs (which work fine now) and one of the BP1200.1s was off. I wiggled the power/ground/remote wires to no avail, then checked the fuses to fine that they were all blown. I disconnected the negative battery terminal, replacd the fuses with the same ones, then when I reconnected the negative battery terminal I heard sparking and sizzling from the front so I disconnected it really quickly and went back to see what was going on. the one amp that I had replaced the fuses on was smoking so I unplugged it and dismounted it. Later I checked the fuses and all three of them were fine, so I took the cover off and checked out the internals, it all looks fine except for the 5 caps right near the power supply. here's a pic:

For some reason every 2200uF cap on the board has that black film on top of it somewhere. All the other caps (with the exception of 2-3 470uF ones) don't have the black film on top. Also the ones with the film smell like burnt silicone or something nasty so I think they may be the problem. I didn't do ANYTHING to cause this to happen and every other accessory and amp in my car still works fine. I assume it's just a faulty amp because I know the BP series has been known to do that, but does anyone have any other ideas? There was no premature grounding, I use a stinger gold plated grounding post and the other amps (which are connected to the same ground through a distro block) still work fine. all connections were solid and secure. I'm completely clueless, but really PISSED!

Anyone have any idea why this happened, and if I can't get the amp replaced under warranty, is it worth trying to replace those caps and see if that makes any difference? Thanks!!

--Chris

(c) 2002-2009 Stangeriffic2002

#83282 - 02/18/04 09:22 PM Re: WTF! One of my BP1200.1s just went up in smoke :mad:
ZXLNT

Loc: topeka ks

If its under warranty I wouldnt mess with it. I dont see any burned spots on the board or anything. The top of the caps arent bulged out or anything. Could be shorted caps or blown rectifier diodes in the power supply.
Kicker 12L7's
Precision Power PC2600's
Harrison Fmods
Stinger Wiring
Optima Red Top

#83283 - 02/18/04 09:49 PM Re: WTF! One of my BP1200.1s just went up in smoke :mad:
bkoopman1

Loc: Las Cruces, NM

Wow, that's a weird one. You may want to check your output fets and power supply fets to see if they're still good.

If this happened while the amp was running, I'd have an explanation for you. Most 1200.1's fail in exactly the same manner, but not at all like this.

I take it the amp doesn't power up any more. Let me know if your transistors are still good.

#83284 - 02/18/04 11:26 PM Re: WTF! One of my BP1200.1s just went up in smoke :mad:
thumpper

Loc: B>C> Canada

There are no burn marks on the circut board
and the capacitors are not bulged....

Showed the pic to a JBL rep and he said as long
as you have the receipt it would be fixed under warrantee.... ;\)
So don't mess with it..... :p ""cause it would void the warrantee""

Hope it works out for ya
2 RFR 3112
2 JBL/Crown BPX 1100.1
1.2 farat cap
1 Yellow Top
Twin alts
149.2 DB at 35hz
http://members.sounddomain.com/thumpper01

#83285 - 02/19/04 12:32 AM Re: WTF! One of my BP1200.1s just went up in smoke :mad:
Stangeriffic2002
Massive, Throbbing

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpper:
There are no burn marks on the circut board
and the capacitors are not bulged....

Showed the pic to a JBL rep and he said as long
as you have the receipt it would be fixed under warrantee.... ;\)
So don't mess with it..... :p ""cause it would void the warrantee""

Hope it works out for ya
I don't have a receipt because I bought it online, but I have proof that I bought it from an authorized JBL Dealer. I'll probably just call them and tell them what happened, it was OBVIOUSLY a faulty amp, I have another one hooked to the same distro block less than 3 feet of 4awg away and it still works perfectly. I haven't tried powering it up again out of fear of doing more damage to this one or damaging the others. I guess I will give them a call and see what happens...

#83286 - 02/19/04 12:47 AM Re: WTF! One of my BP1200.1s just went up in smoke :mad:
Stangeriffic2002
Massive, Throbbing

Quote:
Originally posted by bkoopman1:
Wow, that's a weird one. You may want to check your output fets and power supply fets to see if they're still good.

If this happened while the amp was running, I'd have an explanation for you. Most 1200.1's fail in exactly the same manner, but not at all like this.

I take it the amp doesn't power up any more. Let me know if your transistors are still good.
I don't know how to check the FETS or even what they are... I'm clueless electronically, I just know how to install the ALREADY WORKING equipment lol

The amp wasn't running, the battery terminal was disconnected and I did that specifically because I have seen JBL amps smoke when trying to replace the fuses w/ constant power to them.

Like I said in the pervious post I don't know if it will power up, but I'm afraid to try. i don't want it to spike or something and wipe out my other two amps also...

#83287 - 02/19/04 03:24 AM Re: WTF! One of my BP1200.1s just went up in smoke :mad:
bkoopman1

Loc: Las Cruces, NM

Definitely call the place you got them from. The amp is probably toast, but you can try to connect it with a 10A fuse, that shouldn't cause anything to catch on fire.

#83288 - 02/19/04 11:06 AM Re: WTF! One of my BP1200.1s just went up in smoke :mad:
excelaudio2003

Loc: palatine il

Quote:
Originally posted by Stangeriffic2002:
One of my JBL BP1200.1's cooked like a thanksgiving turkey today and I don't have the slightest clue why. Here's what went on:

Everything was working fine, I've had the amp for about a year and it's never been a problem, but today I was hooking up my undercar LED kit and had recently rewired everything so I decided to make sure everything was working. I went to the trunk after finishing the LEDs (which work fine now) and one of the BP1200.1s was off. I wiggled the power/ground/remote wires to no avail, then checked the fuses to fine that they were all blown. I disconnected the negative battery terminal, replacd the fuses with the same ones, then when I reconnected the negative battery terminal I heard sparking and sizzling from the front so I disconnected it really quickly and went back to see what was going on. the one amp that I had replaced the fuses on was smoking so I unplugged it and dismounted it. Later I checked the fuses and all three of them were fine, so I took the cover off and checked out the internals, it all looks fine except for the 5 caps right near the power supply. here's a pic:

For some reason every 2200uF cap on the board has that black film on top of it somewhere. All the other caps (with the exception of 2-3 470uF ones) don't have the black film on top. Also the ones with the film smell like burnt silicone or something nasty so I think they may be the problem. I didn't do ANYTHING to cause this to happen and every other accessory and amp in my car still works fine. I assume it's just a faulty amp because I know the BP series has been known to do that, but does anyone have any other ideas? There was no premature grounding, I use a stinger gold plated grounding post and the other amps (which are connected to the same ground through a distro block) still work fine. all connections were solid and secure. I'm completely clueless, but really PISSED!

Anyone have any idea why this happened, and if I can't get the amp replaced under warranty, is it worth trying to replace those caps and see if that makes any difference? Thanks!!

--Chris
quality! quality! quality!

its just pouring out from under that triod!!

thats jbl!

whats that white crap an the circuit board???

is it power juice???

oh yes they hold there parts on with it.

keep buying jbl its awsome!!!!
2003 DB4 state champion
2003 meca world finalist
2003 2nd mr5 world finals
2003 2nd db4 world finals
2003 4th m5 world finals
loudest accord on earth?

#83289 - 02/19/04 11:33 AM Re: WTF! One of my BP1200.1s just went up in smoke :mad:
Kadafi SkanDeezy $slangin teh yeyo$

Loc: tehlu

Quote:
Originally posted by excelaudio2003:
 Quote:

--Chris
quality! quality! quality! thats jbl!
Actually if you would look at the board and use your brain you would see that everything is soldiered onto the board and the silicon is only used to keep the toroids firmly in place....
;\)

#83290 - 02/19/04 02:33 PM Re: WTF! One of my BP1200.1s just went up in smoke :mad:
Stangeriffic2002
Massive, Throbbing

Quote:
Originally posted by KadafiTheRegulator:
 Quote:
Originally posted by excelaudio2003:
 Quote:
One of my JBL BP1200.1's cooked like a thanksgiving turkey today...
quality! quality! quality! thats jbl!
Actually if you would look at the board and use your brain you would see that everything is soldiered onto the board and the silicon is only used to keep the toroids firmly in place....
;\)
Thank you...I thought I was gonna have to do that myself :rolleyes: lol

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  TtownCLS, keep_hope_alive, Linus., Johnny Lapdance 
Hop to:
Shop on eBay
Newest Members
Jtsarby, Georgepl, audiophile_sound, K10KID, BlakeS
86233 Registered Users
Top Posters
*316Flattop*
Johnny Lapdance
Subwoofer Tool
G H O S T
ItWuzCryptic
IamMurph
Momma Bear
imtfox
SQLAltima
Network Guy
Forum Stats
85900 Members
24 Forums
177941 Topics
1102260 Posts

Max Online: 754 @ 03/10/08 07:00 PM

Generated in 0.051 seconds in which 0.025 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright 1998-2008 CarDomain Network, Inc. All rights reserved.