SoundDomain
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#287792 - 06/28/04 09:45 PM Front stage only or Front and Back Speakers???
jmon22

Loc: Ohio

Alright to start off, I have a 2004 Civic Coupe, which is a small car, which makes me consider just doing front stage. I already have an Alpine 9831 HU, and will be running 2 Alpine Type R 12 inch subs in the trunk.

So here are my options:

I could go just front stage. In this case I would probably go with the JBL Gti 5.25 inch components for the front and leave out the back speakers.

Or, option #2. I could either put a pair of Infinity Kappa or Perfect 5.25 Components in the front, and have a matching pair of Kappa 6x9's in the back.

I will buy an amp to properly amplify either setup so that is not a factor.

Price is also not a factor because each one will end up coming up around the same.

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate any help given.

#287793 - 06/28/04 09:50 PM Re: Front stage only or Front and Back Speakers???
ez2hotwire

Loc: South Jersey

jmon, check this out=
http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=003115#000000

#287794 - 06/28/04 10:44 PM Re: Front stage only or Front and Back Speakers???
Subwoofer Tool
style so phat, it gets fitted with a shoehorn

Loc: The Four Zero Two

Front stage only should not mean front speakers only. Front stage concerns the locations of instruments in your sonic image.

Rear fill can aid in imaging or even create a sense of space, but the way most newbies do rear speakers results in the band sitting behind the driver. The last time I went to a concert, I desired to have the band in front of me. ;\)

You can have a good front stage and rear speakers, BUT if you haven't made a final decision, the best one to make when you are still cutting your teeth is to buy a single pair of high-quality speakers instead of two pairs of average speakers.

Think of it this way: One stock Corvette will outperform any number of stock Monte Carlos or Cavaliers.

#287795 - 06/28/04 10:54 PM Re: Front stage only or Front and Back Speakers???
tomfin2000

Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Are you sure that your front speakers are 5.25"? I thought all of the 2004 Civics had 6.5" speakers in the front doors. Mine did. You have a coupe and I have a sedan, so that might be the difference, but you should probably double check first.

I've switched back and forth between running my amp in five channel mode (50W RMS x 4) and having rear fill, and bridging the front channels (120W RMS x 2) and having no rear fill. I just can't get used to not having the rear fill. I guess that comes from 30 some odd years of stock stereo systems. As you can see though, I'm definitely in the minority.
JL Audio VR650-CSx Coaxials (Rear)
JL Audio Slash 300/4 v2
JL Audio Slash 250/1 v2
JL Audio 12W3v3-4 in sealed box

#287796 - 06/29/04 11:58 AM Re: Front stage only or Front and Back Speakers???
MSA-001 EX-S

Loc: Concord

Well here's my theory on it. 80% of the people who say don't use rears don't know how to properly calibrate their setup. The other 10% just like front stage only. Me, i prefer rear fill. It adds a sense of depth. I've tried both and found that front stage is very terrible for high volume setups cause it kills your ears cause everything comes from about 1 to 3 feet from your ears. Thats very close even with time alignment. Also really a normal stereo system is still just 2 chs, front and rear, so have rear fill is not the same as having rear channels. Only 5.1 systems and above have rear channels. With the stereo setup the music is played left and right so if you get the right about of rear fill you still have a right and left sound. To do proper rear fill you need to not overpower the rear in comparison to the fronts. You need to calibrate it so that the rear fill is just filler. With the rear you should try and get enough volume so that the rear blend in with the front so really all it sounds like is that the music surrounds you. Even with high end stuff running just the front you'll still have the gap from the front to the trunk. To me it sounds very seperated like only the bass is coming from the trunk, o wait in a frontstage only setup bass is the only thing in the rear. And i really don't want to see some argument about how concerts aren't setup like this, cause a concert has 15-25 foot towers, are spread to the left and right of the stage and only those close to the stage have optimal soundstaging. Just think about it like this. When you're going to a concert you want to be right up in there, cause the music is loud and surrounds you. But if you're like them people in the back or on the lawn, they get crap listening and sound position. Same thing as in cars, maybe not as dramatic a result but its still noticable. I'd suggest getting nice components up front and get a midlevel round coaxial. Don't give 6x9s cause they suck. Run the rear off the HU and you'll have more than enough power for them. Unless you get a 5.1 setup, don't worry about putting too much power to them. In a 5.1 setup, i'd suggest components.

#287797 - 06/29/04 12:57 PM Re: Front stage only or Front and Back Speakers???
tomfin2000

Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
With the rear you should try and get enough volume so that the rear blend in with the front so really all it sounds like is that the music surrounds you.
Thank you. I was starting to think I was the only person on this forum that preferred this type of setup. I've got my front speakers, rear speakers, and sub blended to the point where the cabin is filled with music, but the sound is non-directional.

I just went back to this setup after trying everthing else I could think of and still being unhappy with my system. I don't know that I'll ever be 100% satisified (it's just not in my nature), but I'm certianly a lot happier with it now than I have been the past two months.

I realize that it's not what's commonly accepted as good staging, good imaging, good SQ, how competition cars are setup, etc., but it's what I like. If that makes me the car audio version of a mutt, then I'm a mutt.
JL Audio VR650-CSx Coaxials (Rear)
JL Audio Slash 300/4 v2
JL Audio Slash 250/1 v2
JL Audio 12W3v3-4 in sealed box

#287798 - 06/30/04 02:20 AM Re: Front stage only or Front and Back Speakers???
MSA-001 EX-S

Loc: Concord

actually i'm not sure that the best SQ cars are front stage only. With what i'm seeing now, most cars don't even keep the back seat and have the subs more in the cabin of the car. The cars i've been most impressed with are the 5.1 setups played in stereo. Have you checked out the Focal Utopia demo Altima. It uses a 5.1 setup but the Focal president said he was happier with it running in stereo and was quite impressed with it. In the end its all personal preference, but i'm not impressed when i've pulled up to cars that are very loud from the drivers windows but lack sound in the back. Funny thing is everyone thinks they setup is louder than mine til i bring down the rear windows and then they get blown away.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  imtfox, Foam, keep_hope_alive, Johnny Lapdance 
Hop to:
Shop on eBay
Newest Members
Jtsarby, Georgepl, audiophile_sound, K10KID, BlakeS
86233 Registered Users
Top Posters
*316Flattop*
Johnny Lapdance
Subwoofer Tool
G H O S T
ItWuzCryptic
IamMurph
Momma Bear
imtfox
SQLAltima
Network Guy
Forum Stats
85900 Members
24 Forums
177941 Topics
1102260 Posts

Max Online: 754 @ 03/10/08 07:00 PM

Generated in 0.025 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright 1998-2008 CarDomain Network, Inc. All rights reserved.